Monday, 24 February 2014

Copic Blending Charts



At Splitcoast Stampers, you'll find an eleven part challenge going on called Love Fest. The challenge I'm posting about today asks us to consider the Joys, Benefits and Challenges of Crafting OCD. That made me smile - it's as if the challenge creators could see inside my head! I'm all about the organization of my crafting space. In fact, I can't create if things are messy or unorganized or, especially, if things don't go the way I think they should. For that reason, I've set up a few systems in my craft room that facilitate the smooth flow of inspiration.

Copic coloring and blending was something that I first found frustrating cause I didn't know exactly what to expect when I used a certain marker. Many projects were scrapped or changed on the spot because I grabbed the wrong marker. To keep my mood sunny and productive, I needed to be able to put my hands on exactly the right color - right now!

To save hours of frustration and waste, I grudgingly took the time to set up a little book which features a small image colored with every marker I have, shaded with a marker one to three steps up. (Since then, I've learned about the 10+2 shading rule, so new pages will have to be added, but that's another day.) If you look close at the coloring, you might cringe - the book was created in my early days with Copics and the coloring is a bit rough. Still, the book makes it super easy to match paper, ribbon, etc. An unexpected bonus was that it gave me the opportunity to really become familiar with the markers in my collection.

I've also put together pages of skin tones and hair coloring choices using images and color combos offered in book 3 of the Copic Coloring Guide (see below) Since I refer to these each and every time I color a person, the time it took to prepare the pages was really worthwhile. I'm so glad I took the time to prepare this little book, and  hope you give these ideas a try.

I've recently began to rip out pages from glossy magazines which feature people with differing ethnicities, and my next goal is to match those hair and skin colors with Copic colors - wish me luck cause I'm gonna need it!


No comments:

Post a Comment