Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Color It Up





It's Wednesday, and that's Technique and Tutorial Day again at QKR Stampede and Eureka Stamps. Today, I'll be focusing on another technique for your paper flower stash - changing their color. I'll be working with flowers available with these links at both Eureka and QKR. If you're used to seeing my post pop up on the two blogs earlier in the day, sorry about that - chest cold had me totally forgetting what day it was yesterday. If you see any errors in this post, I hope you'll be forgiving - lol.

So, I'm working today with the same purple selection of flowers today as I used in my post two weeks ago. As I mentioned then, you get a generous amount of flowers in each selection, so you can do a lot of experimenting. I've used four basic methods of coloring here: Copics, Distress Re-Inkers, Distress Pads and Smooch Spritz. Let's look at the results with each method.

I applied the Copic marker directly to the flower. Colors used here are: YR 20, 21, 23, 24.


A really easy way to add saturated color is to spritz the inside of a small baggie and add a drop or two of Distress Re-Inker. Spritz each flower with a bit of water, add them to the bag and massage till the flower is well colored. Remove the flower carefully as it will be very delicate when wet. The following photos show the results of this technique.




With this next flower, watch how the dark tips stay dark:


And with this flower, using Squeezed Lemonade, the centre goes to a perfect brown.

Fingers are getting more and more inky as I do small flowers for the centres...


For this one, I applied the Distress Ink Pad directly to the flower, then spritzed the flower with water.


And finally, I tried Smooch spray. I didn't think of this until my card was completed, so this flower is not in the bouquet.


After the flowers were completely dry, I added dots of Liquid Pearls and some glitter. Here's a close up of the results. By the way, the vase was cut with a Spellbinder Christmas ornament, run through an embossing folder, sponged with a VersaMark pad and heat embossed with clear powder. The leaves were all cut with various Spellbinders.



1 comment:

  1. Love the distressed inks too, the flowers turned out beautifully, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete