Monday, 24 December 2012

New Technique and Tutorial Team!

 
Can you imagine how excited I was to receive a telephone call inviting me to join Joann aka Sassy Raggedy in establishing a Techniques and Tutorial Team for Eureka Stamps and QKR Stampede? Over the moon!

The idea is to post something new every Wednesday on both the Eureka and QKR Blogs which will feature a step-by-step tutorial, or an example of what you can create with a certain product. Readers can come to count on new information every Wednesday which we hope will inspire you to expand your skill base and product knowledge. Is that a big challenge? You bet, and I'm excited about learning new things myself that I can share with fellow lovers of paper arts.

My introductory project is a perfect example. The products the new T&T team is featuring today are Mica Powders. Now, I've tried mica powders before and have not been impressed. I thought they were pretty, but they never stayed where I put them. Little did I realize the beautiful possibilities of mica powders! Thanks to my T&T team, I've learned that there are many techniques using mica powders which give you spectacular results. The above project is a perfect example. I've found that mica powders work really well with a product you likely have in your stash – VersaMark ink.

For this project, I used 1/4 sheet of black Recollections cardstock from Michaels, Eurkea's Partridge in a Pear stamp, and selected a powder from the Iridescent Sparkle collection for this project. Partridge is a big stamp, approximately 4 x 4.75 inches, so it makes a great focal image.

Here's what you do....
  • Ink your stamp well with VersaMark and press firmly onto black cardstock;
  • GENTLY brush mica powder over the image with a soft brush, and let stand a bit; 
  • After allowing time for the ink to set, tap off the excess powder and return it to the container;
  • Dust with a Swiffer dry dusting cloth;  
  • To ensure the powder stays put, spray the image with matte acrylic sealer.

After brushing on mica powder

To finish the card, cut a 5 ¼ by 7 ¼ inch card base. I've used DCWV Shimmer cardstock. Trim the image and mount it on a slightly larger piece of the base cardstock, and then mount all again on another piece of the black cardstock before attaching to the card base.

To fill in the space at the top of the card, use a Scor Pal to add some embossed lines. A black bow and some dots of Liquid Pearl are all the embellishment this card needs.

Check back soon for more ideas with mica powder, such as the following...


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and technique. Wonderful job. joann sassy raggedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial and congratulations on making the new DT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb....congratulations!! I'm thrilled for you! Great tutorial....beautiful cards!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job on this card and the tutorial! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome card. The preview you showed of another technique looks interesting too! Looking forward to seeing more projects by this new DT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw beautiful examples of this technique when I was demoing for QKR at the Mesa Rubber Stamp show...maybe they were your cards! If so....they were awesome...I love the colored partridge!
    Hugs, Renee

    ReplyDelete